So while I cannot afford to shop
until I drop, I’ve taken to living vicariously through Polyvore. It actually works for a brief moment. I have this happiness in my heart about finding new clothes that I’m obsessed with.. Then I get a little sad because I don’t actually own the clothes. But that’s okay. There’s solace in the fact that I can just create another set and have that feeling again. It’s kinda like heroin or something. I better be careful!
I apologize in advance for the excess in posts of clothes and furniture and jewelry and who knows what else! Starting with J.Crew, of course.
Follow me on Polyvore and leave a comment with your username so I can follow y’all back!
As promised a few days ago, here’s the life changing Preview tutorial that will make your picture collages look so much more professional. And it’s easy too! It took me a few tries to really get the hang of this process, but now, it’s super quick for me to remove the backgrounds on my pictures so I can post a few together overlapping and it not show awkward white (or other color) boxes around them!
Step 1 | Select the picture you want to remove the background from and open it in Preview [this is a native application on MacBooks and is usually the default for opening pictures and other files. If it isn't, right click the picture file > select 'open with' > then select Preview]
Step 2 | Click “Show Edit Toolbar” [the icon that is showing as blue across the top of the Preview screen]
Step 3 | Click “Instant Alpha” — the second icon from the left [shown as blue]
Step 4 | Now your mouse will show as a plus (+) sign. Click on the background and slide across it until everything you want removed is showing in this salmon/coral color. If you can’t get everything at once, don’t worry! You can do this more than once. Make sure you don’t select part of the picture you want to keep.
If the remaining background is super small, you can use either Lasso Selection or Smart Lasso to help remove it. Lasso Selection lets you draw a circle around the background you want to remove and Smart Lasso uses the same plus (+) sign icon to draw with the salmon color over the background you want to remove. Again, make sure you don’t select any of the picture you want to keep! I personally recommend using the Instant Alpha as much as possible, and resort to Lasso Selection only if you need to. Using Smart Lasso gets a little complicated, but don’t be afraid to try things out [note: Command + Z will undo anything you do to the photo]
These four options are found under the first icon from the left
Step 5 | Now there will be a moving, dashed selection around the background. Click delete! This is where you will see if there is any background remaining and decide if you need / want to use any of the other Lasso tools to perfect your picture.
Step 6 | If it’s how you want it, click Save and you’re done! Voila, you have a gorgeous picture sans the background that you can use in a professional looking collage of pictures!
And that’s it! Thanks to Preview, you’ve got gorgeous and professional looking pictures to use anywhere! If you have any questions, please comment below, I would love to help! I also want to see how you use my Preview Tutorial. Tag @SweetSthrnSass and use #SSSpreviewtutorial and show me how you use this new found technique!
Of course, it’s that time of year again for those of us that are still in [nursing] school to either buck up and stay where we are currently living or make the decision to move. Oh, moving. How I both love and hate you.
loves | well, getting to move means a change of scenery, which I’m a pretty big fan of. Also, getting the opportunity to get rid of all the crap you’ve managed to accumulate over the past year. There’s also the perk of getting some new things, if you’re lucky! Not that you ever need a reason to shop, of course. Finally getting away from your awful downstairs or next door neighbors.
hates | because it’s moving. Add in being on the second floor in my current apartment and on the second floor of my new apartment… Those big items are going to get pretty heavy [thankfully, boyfriend and daddy are helping out with that]. Packing up everything then having to unpack. I’m the worst at packing.
Obviously there are way more loves / hates about moving but those few things are the ones that stand out most in my mind right now. What I’m most excited about though.. New purchases!
one | two | three
four | five | six
So in all honesty.. Two of the items I am fawning over in the bedroom section are little girls furniture. What can I say, once a princess, always a princess. And little girls furniture is always cuter and amazing! When I picture what I want in my bedroom, that’s what I vision.
After looking around at furniture stores and starting to make some decisions, I’m starting to get super excited about my upcoming moving date. I’m starting to feel like a real grownup! Hahaha.
P.S. What pieces of furniture do you most enjoy buying?
So I realize that as of today, Christmas is still a looong time away. So is my birthday [January 11]. But that really doesn’t stop me from planning my Christmas and birthday wish list in August. I generally have a really hard time trying to decide what I want to be given. I couldn’t tell you why it’s this difficult for me to come up with some gift ideas, but it’s like trying to herd cats: impossible.
By the grace of God
and a lot of Google searches, I have come up with a list! [insert fake applause sound clip] These are in no particular order of importance, relevance, necessity, or level of want, just a list of presents that would make this lady blogger one happy girl.
1. iPad | because duh! I know this gift is a little on the expensive side, but every blogger needs a trusty tablet to keep up with all the happenings in the blogosphere. An iPhone just won’t cut it sometimes. [fingers crossed, I might splurge for the new one coming out this Fall / I am aware the picture shown is not a real iPad...yet]
2. Custom blog design | what better way to say “you rock my socks” than to purchase your favorite blogger a custom blog design from say, Aubrey Kinch Design Studio? Now that’s a gift that keeps on giving.
3. Business cards | bloggers gotta spread the word about their blog. Marketing is just as important as making a blog look nice.
4. Web hosting | one of those presents that most people would not understand, but your blogger would appreciate this. Definitely an idea most people would never think of giving.
5. Blog, Inc. by Joy Cho | not everyone wants a book as a gift, but I wouldn’t turn this book down. I actually almost bought this one back in the day, but couldn’t get myself to spend the money [it's only $16.67, but I'm weird].
6. Daniel Wellington watch | everyone needs to be able to tell the time, right?! I wouldn’t be upset if I found this little beauty under my tree. It’s super classy [and Southern sassy]!
7. Privacy screen | might sound like a boring gift, but there is nothing worse than feeling like someone is reading your next post over your shoulder.
8. External hard drive | I’ve wanted one of these for a while. Partially to save all my blogging goodies, but also to backup the endless amount of coursework I did during my first Bachelor degree and now everything I’ve started accumulating from my second Bachelor degree.
9. Kendra Scott jewelry | just because your blogger friend is sitting behind a computer what seems like the better part of the day does not mean they shouldn’t look gorgeous doing it. I happen to enjoy gold and sparkly things very, very much. [Elisa Pendant Necklace in Gold Drusy]
10. Clare Vivier clutch | again, one item that isn’t really relevant to blogging, but something that I still really, really enjoy looking at and all that. I can’t imagine I would ever really get this as a gift, but if any of you pretty people are feeling generous…!
11. Starbucks Gift Card | need I say more? Caffeine equals fuel. Fuel equals hyper-blogging. Hyper-blogging equals happy readers.
12. Photoshop | I seriously have way too expensive of taste for being on a poor, nursing student budget but there I said it! I want Photoshop! [Note: I found a super great feature in Preview that I will discuss at a later time. It has literally changed my life. I'm not even being over dramatic.]
There are of course other gifts, like Gunnar computer glasses and ergonomic chairs that would be great for some bloggers out there, but not really my cup of tea. I can’t say I won’t change my mind and want those later in my blogging career, though!
What are some of your blogger gift wants and ideas?
Heya, pretties! Just wanted to apologize for all the technological malfunctions I’ve been having this morning.
I recently learned how to delay the publishing of a post [my new best friend] and somehow in my doing this, one of my posts was sent to be published with most of the content missing! I am so embarrassed! Especially because it took me almost four hours to realize since I was taking my a final exam for nursing school.
On top of that, I signed up for Polyvore, which is so amazing, but I was trying to use the “Clip to Polyvore” function. Much to my dismay, it wasn’t working properly [operator error, I guess] and random things were being posted to my blog and Facebook and Twitter.
I’m seriously so embarrassed by all my malfunctions. I know it happens and all, but OH MY GOSH.
Anyways, what can you do. I hope the delays were worth your wait!
Okay maybe not save your life, but it will definitely make your life smell better and feel better and look better. Seriously. Let me list all the ways I have used coconut oil:moisturizer // lotion for skin and cuticles deep conditioner face wash lip balm reduce appearance of scars stop itching of bug bites sweetener for coffee added to breakfast smoothie for flavor and satiate appetite clean teeth and gums [plus more than I can't even remember!]
I’m not even kidding you right now. I have done all of those things.
I was a skeptic at first. I mean the stuff is white and looks pretty solid. Kinda wonky and strange, if you ask me. All the oils I’ve ever come into contact with have been liquids. So my first reaction was to move on and pretend I never decided to give it a go. My second thought was “oh what the heck,” so I bought a jar of Central Market Organics Virgin Coconut Oil to try. I had done a bit of research and found that unrefined and expeller pressed was the best.
What appears as a solid, isn’t so solid. It’s actually really soft. Almost instantly after coming into contact with your skin, it melts into a smooth liquid that is easily spread across your skin or through your hair.
NOTE | I wouldn’t recommend traveling with any kind of oil at this time. I haven’t figured out a way to do this yet. After going on vacation and turning the A/C off, I came home to an 80 degree apartment and a completely melted jar of coconut oil. To be honest, I thought someone had cleaned out my jar while I was gone. I have the weirdest train of thoughts.
And don’t be scared about using an oil on your face. People are so afraid of oils, but there’s nothing to worry about. Putting oil on your face will not give you pimples [unless the oil is riddled with bacteria, in which case, the oil would still not be the cause of your blemishes]. There’s some fancy science reason that it’s okay to use oil on your face. The gist of it is that using oil on your skin breaks down the oils on your face while also moisturizing your skin. Yes you read that correctly, you can wash and moisturize your face with one product.
<< am I the only one that noticed I said oil / oils eight times? eeek. >>
If anyone shows interest in using coconut oil as a face wash and moisturizer, I will gladly put together a “how to” post.
P.S. What are favorite “weird” beauty products?
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 … 16 Next